Here in Dungarvan we are staving off the January blues with some R+D, and working with cans instead of bottles for a while to trial Can Conditioned Beer.
Can Trials 2021
With the rise of canned beers over the past few years, it’s the question we get asked most often and the discussion we’ve had most – will Dungarvan ever release their beer in cans? With all the discussion and consideration, what held us back was changing our process from a bottle conditioned product, which we have always believed produces the best quality and best tasting beer, to a force carbonated product. By working on a can conditioned beer we can keep our core ethos, retaining the character of the beer – undergoing its secondary fermentation in the bottle (or can) to produce a natural carbonation in the beer.
Like our bottled conditioning process, here’s how it works: we can the beer unfiltered so that the live yeast is present in the can after packaging. The beer then undergoes a second fermentation process in the can, creating more CO2, which gives the beer its bubbles. This leads to a natural carbonation, preserving the beer’s quality and enhancing its flavour. After going through the conditioning process the yeast will fall away to the bottom of the can, leaving a natural yeast sediment behind. Anyone familiar with our bottled beers, or any other bottle conditioned beers, will be familiar with this sediment!
The first trial batches of cans are now gone into our warm room for the yeast to work its magic. There are still lots of trials and research ahead of us at the brewery for the next few weeks and all going well we are hoping to have our first ever can release in March. These will be available nationwide through our wholesale partners, Fourcorners.
Now part of our Core Range
After our successful limited sale of our Alcohol Free Beer Main Sail in Summer 2019. Due to popular demand we have decided to make Main Sail a member of our Core Range.
Our Alcohol Free Beer has a great taste but also holds many health benefits.
- While drinking alcohol free beer we associate the flavour and smell with full strength beer. Making Main Sail a great alternative to Alcoholic drinks in general.
- Beer is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. Alcohol Free Beer provides all the benefits of these without the negative effects of alcohol.
- Main Sail holds isotonic properties, energising and quenches thirst. More and more athletes are replacing their sports drinks with non-alcoholic beer. Isotonic drinks replace fluids and electrolytes lost through sweating, preventing cramping and aids recovery.
- Drinking alcohol free beer is a good way to stay hydrated. Anything below 2% ABV will rehydrate you rather than dehydrate.
- Beer is rich in a dietary chemical called Silicon which comes from the Hops the beer is made from. Silicon is a key ingredient for increasing bone mineral density, therefore strengthening bones.
Irelands first micro-brewed alcohol free beer. We took a while developing this beer to get it just right, To give a refreshing hoppy flavour without the alcohol content. Coming in at 0.4% abv it is defined as an alcohol free product and can be enjoyed in place of a regular beer.
Plenty of hops give a lively, refreshing citrus and herbal flavour to this light bodied pale ale.